Explore HK Lantau island attractions!
Lantau Island attractions has HK's biggest Country Park area comprising lot of must-see wonders. Know the most efficient route on How to Get There.
Lantau Island is the largest outlaying island in Hong Kong, almost twice the size of Hong Kong Island.
More than half of it has been designated as Country Park area. Its tranquil and green environment makes it a popular spot for nature's lovers and hikers.
Few statues anywhere in the world have such a powerful pull on the imagination as the Giant Buddha gazing serenely on the Po Lin Monastery from its hillside site at Ngong Ping on Lantau Island.
Enjoy a vegetarian lunch served by the monks before visiting Cheung Sha Beach, Shek Pik Reservoir and Tai O Fishing village.
Visit and see the Giant Buddha, the world's tallest outdoor seated bronze Buddha. The Statue sits serenely atop Ngong Ping plateau in the middle of wonderful mountain scenery of Lantau Island.
The majestic figure of the seated Buddha (or Tian Tan) is 34 meters high, was cast in China and took 10 years to complete.
Weighing 220 tons, it was unveiled in 1993. Open to visitors daily from 10 am to 6:00 pm (last admission5:30 pm).
Lantau-Island is one of the most remote and scenic areas of Hong Kong.
See the dramatic Ngong Ping plateau at 460 meters above sea level where monks settled in the early part of the 20th century to establish Po Lin Monastery.
Visit and see the Po Lin Monastery, a sacred spot for devout Buddhist in Hong Kong.
Also, visit the Wisdom Path, an outdoor replica of the centuries-old Heart Sutra, one of the world's best known prayers that is reserved by Confucians, Buddhists and Taoist alike.
The Sutra is displayed in wooden pillars placed in the form of infinite figure which symbolize the immeasurable splendor and infinity.
Here's How to Explore Lantau Island with the most efficient route.
- From Lo Wu (if coming from Shenzhen China), get into theMTR East Rail Line train (read train safety tips) and then
- Get off at Kowloon Tong station.
- Interchange trains to the Kwun Tong Line going to Yau Ma Tei but you should get off at Prince Edward station.
- Walk to the opposite side platform and the Tsuen Wan Line train going to Tsuen Wan but you should get off at Lai King station. Finally,
- interchange trains to the Tung Chung Line and get off at Tung Chung station (77 minutes @ HK$44.8) and then
- take about 4 minutes walk thru Exit B to Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car Terminal.
- Alternate route from Lo Wu (if coming from Shenzhen China) and you wanted to go directly to Ngong Ping, here's how to get there.
- Take the MTR East Rail Line trains all the way to Hung Hom station.
- Interchange trains to the West Rail line and
- get off at East Tsim Sha Tsui station (47 minutes @ HK$34.8) and then
- take Exit J. Walk about 6 minutes to the Star Ferry Terminal through TST promenade to get a chance for a quick visit to the Avenue of Stars and a glimpse at the beautiful Victoria harbour.
- Take the popular HK icon Star Ferry to Central Ferry Pier (9 minutes @ HK$2.5).
- Walk to the adjacent Pier no.6 and take the Ferry to Mui Wo, Lantau Island.
Mui Wo Ferry Fare Per Trip:
- Ordinary Class: Mon - Sat = HK$14.5, Sun and Public Holiday = HK$21.4, Fast Ferry = HK$28.4
- Deluxe: Mon - Sat = HK$24.1, Sun and Public Holiday = HK$35.3, Fast Ferry = HK$40.8
Journey Time from Central Ferry Pier to Mui Wo Ferry Pier:
- Ordinary Ferry = 50 to 55 minutes
- Fast Ferry = 35 to 40 minutesUpon arrival at Mui Wo Pier, nearby you'll find the Mui Wo Ferry Bus Terminus.
- Get into the "New Lantao Bus" No.2 that will bring you to Ngong Ping.
- Bus travel time is about 40 minutes @ HK$17.2 (Mon-Sat) and @ HK$25 (Sun/Public Holidays).
- Half fare for child below 12 yrs old and seniors above 65 yrs old.
And if you're coming from HK airport (HKIA) and wanted to go directly to Ngong Ping and explore Lantau tourist attractions, then here's the most efficient way.
- Take a taxi from HK airport straight to Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car Terminal at Tung Chung (10 minutes @ HK$45) and then
- take the NP 360 cable car to Ngong Ping.
- It takes about 25 minutes for a spectacular cable car ride @ HK$115 round trip ticket (recommended), and @ HK$80 for single trip (not recommended).
Here's to read more information about Lantau Island Shopping.
For more Lantau island tourist attractions information please click here.
To find hotels around Lantau island or close to Hong Kong airport and nearby area, please follow this link. Lantau-Island hotels
"What's NEW in Hong Kong Lantau Island?"
Tai O road traffic is suspended after severe floods.
Hong Kong Director of Highways announced that it will take at least two weeks before road traffic leading to and from the fishing town can be partly resumed as a lot of flooded areas affected by the Saturday, June 7, 2008 heavy downpour on Lantau Island.
"It is quite dangerous to do clearance work at the moment. We can still see lots of water flowing along slopes, and some slopes are quite unstable. Our goal is to try to open one lane for road traffic in two weeks".
Some parts of Keung Shan Road were badly affected by landslide, and foundation work of the road was also badly damaged.
Ferry service frequency will be increased by 10 every day for weekdays with seven departing from Tai O and the last ferry is scheduled at 10.30pm and three from Tung Chung. The first ferry will depart from Tai O will be 6.30am. Also, increased by 14 in total with seven departing from Tai O and seven for Tung Chung during holidays and Sundays. June 8, 2008 updates
Top of this Page - Hong Kong Lantau Attractions
Wanted to share your Lantau island experience or got any inquiry about it?
Do you have a great story about your travel in Lantau island? Share it!
Read what other Lantau Island visitors have asked or said...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
from city gates to disney land
Hi, on our last day in Hong Kong were planning to go to Disneyland since our departure time will be 1:00 am. Is it possible to leave our luggage in the …
I have recently visited to Lantau island, found this place very worth seeing. cable car way to reach to top of mountain is very mesmerizing, and need to …
Click here to write your own.
Mar 11, 17 04:47 AM
Here's how to get to Disneyland, Ocean Park, the Peak, or any other popular Hong Kong attractions by public transport with the most detailed and easy to follow travel instruction.
Mar 09, 17 04:33 PM
Hi. i am travelling to hk on may with my 2 sons and one of our ittinerary our visit to disneynald. Can you help me find the easiest way of transfer
Mar 09, 17 04:31 PM
We have a day in Hong Kong and want to see Big Buddha , understand cable car is closed.. How do we get there and back to airport for evening flight?
Jan 24, 17 09:48 PM
From airport express central stn is it all under ground and then exit the underground at J2, then walk across the park?? but how get across
To check or compare your preferred
hotel in Hong Kong,
please click here and we'll be very happy to assist you.